Lough Ree in English means “Lake of the Kings” and this is of great importance in Irish history, the past two thousand years.
Lough Ree has several islands and is located in the center of Ireland and thus it has always been a place of great strategic importance – conflict, religion and education.
- The first recorded race was held until August 2, 1731 from 28 July.
- At the end of the 19th century 180 people populated these islands. Today the islands are uninhabited.
- In winter migrate estimated 25,000 wild birds from Greenland, Siberia and northern Europe to Lough Ree.
- An old Irish myth tells that after the Tain wars and the death of Cuchulainn, Queen Maeve on one of the island of Loughs, Inchcleraun, returned. However, their stay was not as sensual as expected. A warrior, who was the son of the king of Ulster, was waiting on the shore of the lake, until the Queen came to swim and as soon as they arrived at the shore, he fired a slingshot towards her, which she killed immediately.
- There are 52 named islands on Lough Ree, some are only 1 hectare in size and some are over 200 acres in size.
- The Sean O Dubhagain poet died in 1372 at Rindoon. He was known for a topographical poem consisting of 1660 verses. A detailed description of life in the Irish clans that time.
- During the “Lecarrow Pattern Day” in 1845, a soldier in the barracks in Athlone got drunk and behaved undisciplined. His comrades punished him with a hundred lashes the next day.
- In the year 937 Lough Ree was the site of a great battle between two of the strongest Viking troops from Dublin and Limerick. The Vikings from Dublin won the battle.
- The founder of the monastery on the island of Inishbofin, which means “Island of the White Cow” means (“White Cow” was formerly known as the Milky Way) was Rioch, the son of the sister of Saint Patrick. They say he was the guardian of the books of Saint Patrick. The school on the island were known as the University of the Lake (University of the lake).
- In 1845, eight people drowned in a boating accident when they returned from Cossan Point on Lough Ree, from working in a quarry. Three people survived!