The Island’s first monastery was founded by Saint Kieran in 544 before moving on to Clonmacnoise. During the 11th century the island was subject to repeated raids by Murkertach O’Brien and a large fleet of Danes and Ostmen. Recently linked to the mainland by it causeway, Saints Island is currently home to the ruins of an Augustinian monastery. This was once a renowned abbey and flourished under the wise abbot Augustin Magaidrin during the 14th century. It fell in to disuse following the abbots death and has been derelict for centuries. Magaidrin was the author of an important manuscript which even today is used as a valuable source for scholars researching the lives of Irish Saints. This manuscript is preserved in the Bodleian Library, Oxford. Magaidrin died in 1405.